The MA Public Policy and Governance (MAPPG) is a two-year master’s degree programme, which opens avenues into the world of public affairs for those who are passionate and committed about contributing to social and political change by engaging with public institutions as a policy researcher, commentator, consultant or advisor. This programme is a joint initiative of the Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth (CVV) and the Centre for Public Policy Research (CPPR). It aims to impart the necessary knowledge and skills that will help the students to develop meaningful and sustainable solutions to the challenging situations in public affairs and governance. An effective training in theory complemented by learning experiences from real-world policy challenges covering key areas will help the students to address contemporary political, economic and social issues. The MPPG programme offered by CVV shall be the first of its kind in Kerala. This programme shall also be a knowledge and skill enhancer for serving and prospective bureaucrats, judicial officers, financial and banking professionals, development professionals, social entrepreneurs, economists and social leaders.
Programme Offered by
School of Ethics, Governance, Culture & Social Systems at CVV
Applicants should have a bachelor’s degree in any discipline
from a recognised university.
Who should Apply?
- Students exploring a Public policy-related career in health, education, public finance and economy, urban development, information and communication, international relations, technological innovation, environment etc in Government or corporate sector.
- Mid career professionals like serving and prospective bureaucrats, judicial officers, developmental sector professionals, members of prestigious fellowships like PMRDF etc seeking to enhance their skill sets.
- Public Policy enthusiasts seeking to strengthen their profile for a career in governmental institutions, multilateral aid agencies, academic institutions, global institutions such as UN and its subsidiaries, non-governmental organisations, think tanks, consulting companies, media institutions etc.
Screening of applications, written test and/or personal
DURATION: 2 years fulltime master’s program with Flexi timings
CAMPUS: Chinmaya Eswar Gurukula, Kochi Campus
- Fundamentals of Public Policymaking: Paradigm and Practices
- Economics for Policymaker
- Quantitative and Qualitative Methods for Policy Research
- Idea of Development: Theory and Praxis
- Public Policy Analysis and Implementation
- Understanding Governance: Constitutional Context, Institutions and Practices
- Global Governance Agenda and International Organisations
- Public Policy Communication
- Data Analytics
- Technology and Challenges to Conventional Public Policy Frameworks
To gain concentrated and specialised expertise in a specific area of public policy, participants can choose specific Programmes from the following broad thematic areas of public policy:
- Public Health and Patient Safety
- Education Policy and Sustainable Development
- Agriculture and Rural Economy
- Urban Governance
- Cultural Heritage Protection
- Energy/Environment Policy
- International Trade and Economy
- Technology and Disruptive Practices
- Introduction to Indic Knowledge Systems
- Indian Conceptions of Dharma and Neeti
Programme Fee (Indian & International)
- INR 1,30,000 per annum for Day Scholars.
- INR 2,30,000 per annum for Residential Students.
- USD 5,400 per annum for International Residential Students. Caution Deposit and Semester 1 Fee
- Every candidate selected for admission at Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth will be required to deposit an amount of INR 10,000 towards caution deposit and the first semester programme fees in order to confirm his/her offer of admission by the acceptance deadline as specified in the offer letter.
- Caution Deposit for International Students - USD 240 Scholarship offered on merit cum means basis
Programme Advisory Committee
1. Ambassador T.P. Sreenivasan
T.P. Sreenivasan is a former Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations, Vienna and Governor for India of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna and Ambassador to Austria and Slovenia (2000-2004), T.P. Sreenivasan has served in the Indian Foreign Service for 37 years. He has nearly 20 years of experience in multilateral diplomacy and has represented India at a number of international conferences organised by the United Nations, the Commonwealth and the Nonaligned Movement. He has chaired several UN Committees and Conferences and was a member of the National Security Advisory Board of the Government of India from 2009 to 2012. He is the author of four books: ‘Words, Words, Words—Adventures in Diplomacy’, ‘Encounters’ ‘Mattering to India-the Shashi Tharoor Campaign' and 'Applied Diplomacy Through the Prism of Mythology'.
2. P. R Devi Prasad IES
P.R Devi Prasad has extensive experience with technical matters relating to macro-economic policies and government budgets as well as administrative, financial, and vigilance matters, performance management in central and state governments. He started his career as a lecturer at Bombay (1979-1981) and later joined Indian Economic Service (1982-2014). He had established Fiscal Policy Institute, Bangalore for Government of Karnataka; worked with Government of India in various capacities in Budget Division in Finance Ministry, Department of Commerce, Ministry of Rural Development, Delhi Development Authority, etc.
3. Dr. Anuradha Balaram IES
Dr. Anuradha Balaram served as a member of the Indian Economic Service from 1986 to 2016 in various advisory capacities. As Chief Economic Adviser and Member Secretary, Kerala State Planning Board, she advised the Cabinet on several critical economic issues, introduced several innovative ideas including setting up of a Public Private Partnership Board, finalizing the Kerala Perspective Plan 2030, presenting the State’s Memorandum to the 14th Finance Commission, revamping the prestigious Annual Economic Review, among other work. She was able to bring about a significant change in the work culture In the Kerala State Planning Board.
1. Vanisree Ramanathan
Dr. Vanisree Ramanathan is involved in teaching, research and advocacy experience in interdisciplinary areas of sociology, political science, leadership programs, demography and law for over 14 years. Vanisree has published several research articles in international peer-reviewed journals, delivered keynote speeches as well as presented papers in International conferences. She is an expert in using experiential learning methodology as well as participatory development paradigms. She has been associated with various institutions like Symbiosis Law School, MIT School of Government, Savitribai Phule Pune University and Symbiosis School of Economics. Vanisree has also taught courses in Demography, Public administration and Business Ethics and Law.
2. Nithin Ramakrishnan
Nithin Ramakrishnan, a post-graduate in International Law, who has received international scholarships and honours from The Hague Academy of International Law (2015), University of Geneva (2016) and Xiamen Academy of International Law (2018). His master’s thesis, ‘International Legal Order and Global Governance’, is an expansive work on the structural principles of international legal order and the aspirations of global governance. He is pursuing his interdisciplinary Ph.D. from the Department of Bharatiya Dharshan, Kavikulaguru Kalidas Sanskrit University in which areas of research include early conceptions of State and International Law from Sanskrit Literature and Ancient Indian Knowledge Systems (Sastras).
3. Sushree Sasmita Pati
Sushree Sasmita Pati holds Ph.D. and Post Graduation (Sanskrit) (Gold Medal) from Pondicherry University. Her research work is titled “The study of Bhasa’s plays with special reference to Manusmriti”. She is currently working on the prospects of Dharmasastra and its contemporary relevance. Her research areas include famous Sanskrit literary works and its Dharmasastra aspects. She has numerous research articles to her credit besides being the co-author of a book. She was awarded the Amul Vidyabhusan and literary champion award. Apart from academic achievements, she is a passionate singer and writer.