Centre for Public Policy Research (CPPR) in association with the Malabar Chamber of Commerce conducted a discussion forum on the Model Shops and Establishments Act on May 30, 2017 in Calicut. Various provisions of the Model Act were discussed.
The participants expressed their concerns regarding the new changes and discussed the prerequisistes for bringing about these changes. The discussion forum was conducted as part of the CPPR project on the Model Shops and Establishments Act. Representatives of various shops and establishments, HR officials and entrepreneurs attended.
The major points of discussion were based on the following aspects:
- Simplification of the registration process
- Employment of women in night shifts
- Night Shopping
- Operation of shops and establishments 365 days a year
- Provision of leaves
- Issues faced during inspection
- Penalties for non-compliance